Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is the day we give thanks. Looking around, one would think that Thanksgiving has pretty much degenerated to nothing more than a family gathering at the most on an extra day off, but not much more. I wonder how many folks out here even remember the true meaning of this holiday. So many kids I see now haven't a clue, nor do many of our citizens grasp what this holiday means and why we should be so thankful. For those who do care, however, for those who understand, this holiday is so much more than family thankfulness. It is a time to give thanks for everything our country stands for as well.

When the pilgrims came over, they faced many extreme obstacles. A severe winter and unfamiliar surroundings combined with having to fend for themselves was a daunting task. yet, they persevered. They made friends with the Indians and with their cooperation and help survived. Thus, came the day of Thanksgiving.

Enough of the very brief history lesson from my little world. The main point is what is it that one should be thankful for in these crazy stressful times? I've thought about this alot and here is my little slant on it.

First and foremost I am thankful for my wonderful wife of 35 years, our kids and grandkids and all the people throughout my life, parents, etc, who have been there for me. Family and friends are one of the most cherished things one can have and I am blessed.

Once one gets passed the obvious family thing though, what else should we be thankful for. Many people in this country are to busy with their own insane (in my view) agendas to even remotely stop to be thankful for this country and the very thing that gives them the right ot be who they are. This saddens me to no end. Therefore, here is what else I am thankful for.

I give thanks to the founding fathers, the men and women who gave us the basic foundation of this wondrous country. Everything we are stems from their efforts and sacrifices and they did in fact sacrifice so much more that many folks want to admit to. Thanks to them, I have the right to express my opinion without fear of prosecution, that is at least I do at this moment. The fact that there are people in this country who feel our leaders should be allowed to stifle free speech is abhorrent to me. To many people have sacrificed the ultimate to give me and everyone that very basic right.

I give thanks to the wonderful men and women who comprise our military, the best in the world. These people selfishly give of themselves yet so many people in this country openly despise them. How can this be? Thousands have given their life and blood for our freedom yet so many cannot find it in their hearts to give them thanks?

I give thanks to the people of this country who still hold true to her core values. These folks, patriots all are at the forefront of trying to restore our core values to their rightful standing.

I don't want to be long winded here, so I hope you all get my drift. We have so much to be thankful for and so much to fight for.

Finally, I want to give thanks to the United States of America, my home! Despite our apologetic leaders open disdain for her, our country is in fact the greatest country this world has ever seen. While our leaders now openly work to tear apart our very fabric, the main population refuse to march lockstep to the Pied Piper in the White House. Instead they have chosen to look deep inside their history and themselves and have chosen to stand up and be counted in the fight against the the cancer that is seeping through our government and country. To those brave people. I give my profound thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment