Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day


Later on today and tomorrow, I hope to get back to a somewhat regular posting schedule and as all can guess, I am rather full of rage and more in regards to what is going on in this country and the world today. But for the moment, I want to focus on a special moment and Father's Day.

I have spoken of my father and step-fathers in the past so all know my feelings about them. I just want to say although they have been gone for many years but not a day goes by where I do not think of them and thank them for the values they instilled in me and what I feel is the base from which a good man (I hope people think that of me. LOL!) emerged. So Happy Father's Day to all!

In turn, this brings me to, in my mind, one of the greatest moments in sports history  (Please note here. I am devastated my beloved Hawks lost in the conference finals, but the Kings are deserving champions, fronted by their head coach, his being of great Blackhawk lineage.). This was some of the best hockey I have ever seen, but a moment while the team was raising the cup transcended everything else, reminding us of what it means to be a father and/or a good man.

The Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy of them all and somehow year in and year out deeply touches so many people. In the final analysis, this is what Sports is all about and furthermore (if one is going to look at sport stars as heroes), this is what role models are made of!

From Fox News below, but anyone who watched it had to be in tears. I was!



The Los Angeles Kings won their second Stanley Cup since 2012 on Friday night with a 3-2, double-overtime win over the New York Rangers in Game 5 of the finals.
And as the trophy was passed from the hands of Los Angeles captain Dustin Brown on, it landed in those of Darryl Sutter’s son, Chris.

Chris, who is 21 and was born with Down syndrome, lifted the Cup over his head with a wide smile in a moment that truly ascended the game -- Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski hits the nail on the head with his caption:





This is hockey.


Darryl, who has made it a prerogative in his life to reach out to other families who have children with Down syndrome, told The Toronto Star earlier in the week:

“You understand their emotions, because most special-needs kids, their emotions are what drives their life. They always have extreme emotions, either really happy, or really sad, really mad, something, eh? Strong," he told The Star. "It’s because they have good hearts. Like Christopher has a great heart. If Christopher was here today, you’d all love him. You’d want to go do something with him. It’s just what he does. He can pick up how you’re feeling, it’s how he is. It’s an amazing thing. So that has had a big impact for me, us.”
The Kings players seem to feel the same way about Chris, who is a big supporter of them.

“He feels like a brother to me,” Kings forward Anze Kopitar said on NBCSN after the game, with Chris at his side. “You know, when we get down during the season, since it is such a long time, he comes in the room and he jokes around with us, we play a little basketball with him just outside and he just lightens up the mood. It’s so nice to have him around now.”

NBCSN analyst Jeremy Roenick also asked Chris for his thoughts on the Stanley Cup win. Listen to his response below. It’s perfect.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment